NZMPA Good Practice Guides
- Good Practice Guide to Pilotage Planning (PDF)
Describes a process for producing fit for purpose passage plans for pilotage operations.
- Good Practice Guide for Pilots (PDF)
Describes a syllabus of knowledge and skill required for marine pilots and how to tailor that syllabus to any port or pilotage operation.
- Healthy and Safe Transfer of Maritime Pilots
This voluntary guideline provides practical advice for maritime pilots, pilot launch masters and crew on good health and safety practices for the safe transfer of pilots between vessels.
AMPI – Australian Maritime Pilots’ Institute
The Australasian Marine Pilots Institute is the professional body representing marine pilots throughout Australasia. It assists in the setting of standards, safety management and provides support and guidance with ongoing professional development. The NZMPA works closely with AMPI in the pursuit of our shared objectives.
- AMPI policies, publications and position statements are available to read and download from the AMPI website at ampi.org.au
IMPA – International Maritime Pilots’ Association
IMPA has consultative member status at the International Maritime Organization (IMO) and represents the international community of pilots. The NZMPA also works closely with IMPA in pursuit of our shared objectives.
IMPA policies, publications can be read and downloaded from the IMPA website, along with schedules, agenda, and minutes of IMO safety committee meetings. With an IMPA login, members can also view all IMPA notices and executive committee meetings.
- Visit impahq.org
Pilot Transfer Arrangement references
Part 53 of the New Zealand Maritime Rules puts into force the requirements of SOLAS Chapter V Regulation 23 and IMO Resolution A1045 (27).
Due to the ambiguity of language and different interpretations of the regulation, further guidance has been published by Maritime New Zealand to be read in conjunction with Part 53.
- Part 53: maritimenz.govt.nz/content/rules/part-53
- MNZ approval of equivalent pilot transfer arrangements (trapdoor arrangements) 2021 (PDF)
- IMO Resolution A.1045(27) 2011 (PDF)
- SOLAS Chapter V, Regulation 23: imorules.com/SOLAS_REGV.A.23.html
- IMPA pilot ladder poster (PDF)
In addition to regulation, ISO 799 (parts 1 to 3) defines specifications for the design and construction of pilot ladders and equipment. Visit iso.org